2022 annual report reveals global salary insights, including IC experience pays
New York, NY, October 31, 2022 – Staffbase, a leading provider of employee communications management platforms, in partnership with Brilliant Ink, released its second annual Internal Communications Salary Report revealing how much money internal communications professionals earn—and how experience, location, industry, and other demographics impact earnings.
“We’ve collected salary data from over 1,000 internal communications professionals from around the world, and now we’re excited to share the results,” said Kyla Sims, Staffbase’s Principal Audience Engagement Manager, Brand and Audience. “The work behind this report is dedicated to all the internal communications professionals who are shaping the future of work and showing us all the power of communication. These are the people that inspire us at Staffbase every day.”
Jackie Berg, Head of Research and Business Development at Brilliant Ink, said, “We are on a mission with Staffbase to show annual working trends and salary insights for professionals working in internal communications. It’s time for salary visibility in this industry and this report will help professionals see if their pay falls within industry standards for their region.”
About the Report
Between July and August 2022, more than 1,000 communicators participated in the study with nearly 900 being full-time, in-house IC professionals, predominantly from the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Europe and Australia/New Zealand.
The purpose of the report is to determine:
- How much comms pros with similar backgrounds and experience are paid
- Better understand who the IC pros are and identify their value for companies
- What attributes and designations can help negotiate a higher salary
- How team sizes and structures vary across the industry
Key Data Insights
- Experience pays – IC pros with at least eight to 10 years of dedicated IC experience tend to have salaries that are 22% higher (around $20,000 USD more) than peers with the same level of professional experience but less IC experience.
- The average salary in the U.S. is $103,000 (USD) with an average of 13.5 years of professional experience
- The average salary in Canada is $83,600 ($USD equivalent) with an average of 11 years of professional experience
- The average salary in the U.K. is $56,100 ($USD equivalent) coming in the lowest, with an average of 11 years of professional experience
- One out of every four communicators is on a team of one
- Six out of 10 IC pros are “Fairly Satisfied” with their overall compensation
- When it comes to job satisfaction, 91% say “Culture” is still most important
- 48% of survey respondents report to either the Chief Communications Officer (CCO) or the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO)
- The Great Resignation and IC
- Communicators at their company for one to two years are just as likely to be actively looking for a new job as those with longer tenures, with 35% of them actively searching for a new job
- 40% of communicators at their company for three to four years are actively searching for a new job
- 36% of communicators at their company for 10+ years are actively searching for a new job
The 2021 Internal Communications Salary Report was a first-of-its-kind salary transparency report for Internal Communications (IC) professionals, created to help IC pros advocate for higher wages and address pay inequities in North America and the UK. It received a Gold Quill Award of Excellence from the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC).
This 2022 report is available as a free PDF document at: https://insights.staffbase.com/tf/whitepaper/internal-communications-salary-report
About Brilliant Ink
Brilliant Ink is an internal communications agency dedicated to designing meaningful employee experiences that drive engagement and results. Brilliant Ink is a hybrid consulting firm and creative agency dedicated to designing meaningful employee experiences that translate into business results and improved engagement. For more than a decade, Brilliant Ink has partnered with organizations of all shapes and sizes that all have one thing in common – a deep desire to inspire brilliance in their people. For more information visit: https://brilliantink.com/
Staffbase is a high-growth, deeply experienced provider of employee communications management platforms for enterprise companies. The mobile compatibility of the company’s platform allows employers to securely reach their employees everywhere with reduced complexity — whether in the office, at home, on the factory floor, or on the road. Staffbase solutions give employees greater access to the corporate information that’s relevant to them, along with tools for the modern digital workplace, including existing intranets. With headquarters in Chemnitz, Germany, and offices in Amsterdam, Berlin, Calgary, Cologne, Dresden, Helsinki, Kelowna, London, Melbourne, Montreal, Munich, New York City, and Vancouver, Staffbase provides branded solutions for more than 2,000 leading companies worldwide who are transforming their employee communications, including Adidas, Audi, Paulaner, Spark Power, UC Health, US LBM, and Vestas. Staffbase has received the 2021 Global Employee App Choice Award and 2022 Choice Award for Intranet and Employee Experience Platforms from ClearBox Consulting.
Please visit staffbase.com for more information.
Senior PR Manager